Toll Free:


Q. What should I do if I am involved in a car accident in Kansas?
A. First, you should seek proper medical attention. If you are conscious at the scene, collect all pertinent information from the other drivers (i.e. driver”s license numbers, address, phone number, insurance card information, etc.). Also, make sure to keep a daily journal, beginning with the date of the accident, to document all physical and mental injuries, as well as document your view of the accident.

Finally, contact a Wichita, Kansas (KS) car accident attorney at the Law Center for Car Accident Injuries who will be your advocate.

Q. Do I have a case?
A. Common sense tells whether or not you have a case. As a general rule, laws are based on common sense. In other words, if you can figure out what is the difference between a right driving action and a wrong driving action the law usually supports the right driving action. This is not rocket science. You do not need a Harvard Law professor to tell you that you have a case because a bad driver ran a red light, or rear-ended you while you were stopped or any other failure to obey traffic laws, which resulted in a collision.

Q. If I have a case how much money will I get?
A. Right now, I don’t know. My common response when asked this question is, my crystal ball is broken. I can’t foretell the future. The truth is, there is no attorney, anywhere in the United States who could tell you the value of your case. while you are still seeking medical treatment.

After practicing law for 40 years. I can tell you how insurance companies value cases. They look at the following factors:

  • What kind of injury, did you have? Did you suffer a bone fracture, lacerations, or was it a soft tissue strain /sprain type of injury.
  • What was the length of your medical treatment? Was it weeks, months or even longer? Did you have a “gap in treatment”, a time when you did not go to the doctor?
  • What kind of medical treatment, did you receive? Did you undergo surgery or physical therapy?
  • Sometimes they consider who was your treating doctor — a medical doctor, a chiropractor, a specialist?
  • Did you make a full recovery from your injury, or is there a permanent injury?
  • How much is the cost of your medical treatment, who paid the bills, and are there outstanding balances?
  • Did you suffer a wage loss, loss of employment or loss of an opportunity?

Keep in mind, they don’t care about you!

You are a number, a cost of doing business; you are a business decision for which they want to pay as little as possible to make you go away. They don’t care about you, your pain, your worry — your anxiety, the inconvenience, the burden on your life or your family.

Q. How long does this take?
A. Again, I can’t foretell the future. My crystal ball is broken. The big unknown is how long you are going to be under medical treatment?. That is a medical decision between you and your doctor.

I can tell you when I had a general personal injury practice handling all kinds of personal injury cases from workers compensation to medical malpractice to slip and falls to dog bites the general time was one to two years and sometimes even longer.

Now I limit my practice to handling car accident injury cases only and my average case time is 270 days.

Q. Who pays if I incur an injury due to an auto accident or my car is damaged?
A. If you are not at fault, the other driver”s liability insurance pays for your car damage and personal injuries. If you were injured in the accident from someone else’s negligence, you may be entitled to payment of your medical bills, compensation for pain and suffering, lost wages, loss of earnings capacity, and emotional distress.

Q. What should I do if I did not feel hurt at the scene but experienced pain afterwards?
A. You should immediately consult your medical provider regarding any pain, discomfort or possible injuries from a car accident, even if you think they may be only minor injuries.

Q. My insurance company is offering me a nice settlement. Should I take it?
A. No. Tell the insurance company that you will get back to them. In the meantime, contact one of our Wichita, KS car accident attorneys immediately. Often an insurance company will offer a minimal amount of money in return for your signature stating that you will not sue them. Never take an insurance check without first consulting a car accident lawyer.

Q. What issues will I face in making a claim for my injuries sustained in an auto accident?
A. A claim for injuries is usually based upon a driving error, carelessness or negligence. The three categories of issues that typically arise in a claim after an automobile accident are: Liability – who is at fault and to what degree. Damages – injuries or losses that were caused by the accident. Insurance Coverage – is there an insurance company that will pay for damages after an accident.

Q. How will I pay for my medical bills?
A. If you have been injured, you will likely have medical bills from physicians, hospitals, physical therapists, and other health care providers. Those bills will be in your name and will usually be sent to your address. You are primarily responsible for paying your bills, regardless of the cause of your injuries. Sometimes the amount the insurance company is willing to pay is far less than the actual amount you owe. You need a Wichita, KS accident attorney who will fight for your rights with the insurance companies to ensure that you are fully compensated.

Q. My doctor notified me that I have a permanent injury as a result of my auto accident. What does this mean?
A. A permanent injury is one that is going to either be with you for the rest of your life or for some period beyond the settlement of the claim. In most cases, the injured party is entitled to compensation from the at-fault party or their insurance company for all medical bills incurred to date and into the future for all injuries caused by the accident.

Q. Am I at fault if I rear end another vehicle?
A. Almost always, yes. The law states that you must maintain a safe distance to be able to stop safely if a car stops in front of you.