Most of us will experience a car crash first hand. It’s not something to worry about but it is something you should be prepared for. Do you know everything you should do right after a car crash?
Here are a few reminders of what you should do after a car accident:
- The most important thing you should remember is to seek medical attention. Regardless of the severity of the car accident you should at the very least be looked over by a paramedic. Even fender-benders can cause severe neck and back injuries, do not make the mistake of thinking you can diagnose your own injuries.
- Do not forget to take pictures of the scene of the accident, this includes all vehicles involved. This step is crucial for providing evidence for any legal action you choose to pursue.
- Another important step is to write down details of the accident. Be sure to include names and contact information of the people involved as well as witnesses. Jotting down the details while they are still fresh in your memory is always better than trying to recall details of an accident weeks or months in the future.
- A step some might not think of is do not admit guilt right after the accident. This step is very important if you feel you are the victim. Never say “I’m sorry” as this can be used against you. Simply ask if the other party is okay and move on exchanging information.
- Once the police arrive be sure to keep the police report and other important paperwork. ?Do not lose the case by losing important documents that state your case. Be responsible and keep these documents safe and in a place you will not forget about.
- Contact your insurance carrier and inform them you have been in an accident. Even though you told the truth and the other driver is at fault now is NOT the time to give a taped or written detailed statement, especially to your own insurance company. Who knows – they may be the same insurance carrier for the at fault driver or later on your statement to your insurance company may be used against you. So you must be careful, very careful. Talk to an experienced car accident attorney first.
- Hire an attorney. This step may seem unnecessary at first but consider the amount of work and hassle involved with dealing with your case. Yes you are able to call you insurance provider but will you know how to fight for your rights? With an attorney in your corner not only do you have someone fighting for your case, you also keep the time you would have lost dealing with your case on your own. Always remember, “How much is my time worth”?
With these seven simple reminders we hope to have shed some more light on the aftermath of a car accident. Always remember the the Law Center for Car Accident Injuries is on your side. If you have any questions we are always here to answer them. Contact us directly on this site or by calling 1-800-426-6129.