The folks at the Kansas Insurance Organization have a great reference for those looking to file a motor vehicle claim in Kansas. Like many government sites, it provides helpful information, but it lacks a little in the depth department. Some topics are glossed over while some are left out completely.
I want to take a moment, go over their checklist and expand on a few areas that warrant a closer look. You will find the KSO’s Who to Contact to File a Claim Guide below with my notations in italics.

  1. Contact your insurance company or agent/agency about any motor vehicle accident regardless of fault. You should notify the insurance agent or company while the details are fresh in your mind. If you report a claim by telephone, follow up in writing. Cooperate with the insurance company’s investigation.
  2. For the most part, this is correct. You should always alert your insurance company about an accident, and you should do so as soon as possible after the accident – barring severe injury. You should follow up with the insurance company; however, assisting with the investigation means being polite and supplying the requested information, not submitting to an interrogation.

  3. If you feel the other party is responsible for damages to your motor vehicle or other property, you will need to contact their insurance company or agent to file a claim.
  4. Yes, contact the other insurance company if you feel they are liable for damages, but also contact an attorney and discuss whether it is in your best interest to have representation. Car accident injury lawyers work on a contingency basis. They only get paid if you win. It is not in their best interest to mislead you about the strength of your case.

  5. The insurance agent or company’s representative will be able to inform you of the proper procedure to take … such as, whether to obtain estimates from local repair shops or from the insurance company’s claim representative.
  6. Yes, they should inform you as to what you need to do after a car accident. Should being the operative word. Most insurance companies are conscientious, but that does not mean you shouldn’t do your own research and familiarize yourself with filing deadlines and required documents.

  7. If you suffer any injuries and you are a titled owner of an insured motor vehicle, you should notify your own insurance company because your coverage under your Kansas No-Fault PIP benefits would be primary for any medical expenses incurred by you, regardless of fault.
  8. This is true, but PIP benefits are capped. Any medical expenses in excess of $4500 which is the mandatory minimum in Kansas and always check with your insurance company to determine if you have higher benefits in your policy.

  9. Be sure to keep good records of any communication with an insurance company during a claims process, including dates.
  10. Yes, yes and yes. Always keep records. Record everything that has to do with your injury and the car accident, no matter how minute. You can never be too careful or too thorough.

Have you been injured in a car accident? Are you considering filing a personal injury claim in Kansas? We would love to help. Please fill out the case evaluation form found on this site and one of our expert car accident claim attorneys will contact you shortly to arrange a free consultation to review your case.